Tour 2222 Broad St. on Mar. 23
Join us Thursday, March 23 at 4 p.m. for a special guided tour of the NORA rain garden at 2222 N. Broad St. RSVP here. Squeezed into a once-vacant lot overlooking the Florida Ave. Canal, are eight cypress trees, a bright planter filled with irises and an elaborate mural declaring New Orleans “Our Water City.” With the Sewerage and Water Board’s Pump Station #3 visible just across the street, it’s a vivid picture of integrated urban water management.
We’ll learn more about how New Orleans Redevelopment Authority selected this site and how landscape architects from Spackman, Mossop and Michaels designed the tiered bioswale to filter and absorb stormwater. We’ll find out how the city’s Mosquito and Termite Control Board works with green infrastructure professionals to ensure that sites like this don’t incubate pests, and how the nonprofit SOUL is using volunteers to plant more trees on private lots in Mid-City.
Featured speakers include:
- Brian Burns, New Orleans Redevelopment Authority
- Bridget Tydor, Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans
- Joe Becker, Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans
- Brendan Carter, Mosquito and Termite Control Board
- Emily Bullock, Spackman, Mossop + Michaels
- Susannah Burley, Sustaining our Urban Landscape